Austin Metal Authority – Austin, TX
Founding member of a collaborative metal studio.
Metal Mantis – Austin, TX
Sole proprietor of a metal studio specializing in lighting design, fabrication, sculpture, ornamental and architectural metal work.
FireWork Blacksmithing Studio, LLP – Austin,TX
February 2003-June 2005
Co-owner, blacksmithing and welding fabrication shop. Clients included the State of Texas and the Scottish Rite Temple.
Claudio Bottero – Torreselle, Italy
September 2002-January 2003
Apprentice to blacksmith who utilized traditional techniques and joinery in contemporary design. Responsible for making tools for individual jobs, layout and fabrication, and installations.
Atelier Josef Muck – Prague, Czech Republic
June 2002-September 2002
Under tutelage of master smith, restored two 16th century forged handrails.
Rehme Custom Iron Work – Austin, TX
November 2001-February 2003; 1999-2001
Manager of four-person shop specializing in fabrication and forged architectural ornamental metal work. Responsible for organization of shop and projects, maintenance of tools and equipment, and execution of projects from conceptual drawings to installation. Projects required hand and power hammer forging, MIG and SMAW welding.
Sebastian Fisher Metal Work – Casares, Spain
June 2001-November 2001
Apprentice in high-end architectural ornamental blacksmithing shop. Projects required hand and power hammer forging using gas and coal forges, traditional joinery of metals, and installations.
Lars Stanley Architects and Artisans – Austin, TX
June 1997-May 2000; April 2006-May 2006
Job performance included constant maintenance of two early 1900s mechanical hammers, general shop maintenance and organization, and completion of projects from blueprints to installation. Forging was done by hand and power hammer and the welding with TIG, MIG, and SMAW.
Education and Certification:
- Austin Community College; Certificate in Art Metals
- Blacksmithing Instructor; Austin Waldorf School
- Blacksmithing Instructor; the Steel Yard, Providence, Rhode Island
- Hrad Helfstyn, Czech Republic; two week tool making course taught by Alfred Habermann
- Cecati Trade School, Santa Clara del Cobre, Mexico; two copper forging classes in traditional copper smithing and contemporary vessel forming
- Certified to weld mild steel plate using Tungsten Inert Gas.
October 2008 – Maker Faire Austin
October 2008 – Vouch Vol 2
November, 2006, 2007, 2008 – East Austin Studio Tour
June-August 2006 – “Bloom: Forged with Fire and Force” Brookfield Craft Center
April 2006 – “The Floating Chair” Design Within Reach
March 2005 – “Anvil Art: Anchored by Architecture” Design Center of Austin
Febuary 2004 – “Metalamongus” Austin Bergstrom International Airport
October 2003 – “Metalamongus” Gallery Lombardi
- Artist Blacksmith Association of North America – Scholarship Report
- Austin Chronicle – Heavy Metal
- Loyal Magazine – #10
- The Spark – April 2006
- Victorio Vineto Biennial Forging Competition, Italy – Demonstrated hand forging techniques and was awarded 3rd prize in the competition
- Biennial Europa d’Arte Fabrile, Italy – Demonstrated hand forging techniques with German blacksmith
- Balcones Forge Association, Austin, Texas – Lecture on creation, design and execution of sculpture
- Texas Metal Arts – A festival in Gruene, Gruene, Texas -Demonstrated hand forging techniques
- Maker Faire Austin – Four Editor’s Choice Ribbons – Demonstrated with the Austin Metal Authority
The Austin Metal Authority – AMA
Architectural Artisans Collaborative – AArC
Artist Blacksmith Association of North America – ABANA
Balcones Forge Association
California Blacksmith Associaiton